Network-Attached Storage (NAS) is the easiest way to store your media libraries and stream files to any PC or networked devices for watching. When you got the troubles of disc loss or damage or the space of physical hard disk is low, you can ripping DVDs to NAS which lets you play DVD via NAS on your smart TV, HDTV, iPhone, iPad, PS3, PS4, etc. without DVD discs itself. In this article, we are talking about how to rip DVD to MKV for getting all your DVDs into NAS.
At first, you should know, almost all movies are encrypted with CSS copy protection. Decryption keys are stored in the normally inaccessible lead-in area of the disc. You’ll usually get an error if you try to copy the contents of an encrypted DVD to NAS devices. However, if you have used a software player to play the movie it will have authenticated the disc in the drive, allowing you to copy without error, but the encryption keys will not be copied. If you try to play the copied VOB files, the decoder will request the keys from the DVD-ROM drive and will fail. You may get the message “Cannot play copy-protected files”.
Now that it doesn’t work to directly copy DVDs to NAS drive. To turn a real-world DVD into a digital file that you can stream to the viewing platform of your choice, you have to rip it from the disc. As with ripping DVDs, you’ll copy the contents of a DVD to a NAS-friendly format. If you haven’t yet got a DVD ripping tool, most of you are likely to take the excellent Handbrake into account, but this free DVD ripper is only designed for ripping standard Def DVDs, but still cannot yet protected DVD discs unless adding an intermediate step.
Then Dimo Video Converter Ultimate is recommended as the best DVD to NAS converter as an Handbrake alternative. With it, you can easily remove any protection including DVDs from Disney, Lionsgate, etc. on a DVD and convert DVD movies to MKV format or other popular formats like MPEG-2, MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, MOV, F4V, M4V, VOB, M2TS, WebM, etc. for NAS streaming without no quality loss.
Note that Dimo Video Converter Ultimate supports rip DVD and Video files to H.265/HEVC MP4/MKV, 4K MP4, 4K MKV, 4K MOV keeps the original quality maximally. The conversion speed is also very fast. What’s more, this DVD ripping software provides the preset formats with optimized settings for over 150 popular devices, including iPhone iPad, Apple TV, Galaxy Tab, PSP, PS4, Xbox One and many more for directly playback on these DLNA-enabled devices via your NAS server. Reminder: The output format is determined by the device you have.
This software even provides options for trimming the movie into parts and remove the black bars on the side of the movie to displays the full images on the screen. If you are running on Windows PC (Windows 10 included), turn to Dimo Video Converter Ultimate. Now follow the step-by-step guide to rip and copy your DVD to NAS with MKV format in a few clicks!
Free Download Dimo Video Converter Ultimate for Mac/Win:
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Dimo-Video-Converter-Ultimate/3000-2194_4-77376153.html
- Soft32 Download: http://dimo-video-converter-ultimate-for-mac.soft32.com/
- Top4download: http://www.top4download.com/dimo-video-converter-ultimate-for-mac/digazgge.html
- handyarchive Download: http://www.handyarchive.com/Audio/Rippers-Encoders/176347-Dimo-Video-Converter-Ultimate-for-Mac.html
- filetransit Download: http://www.filetransit.com/screenshot.php?id=450316
- filedudes Download: http://www.filedudes.com/Dimo_Video_Converter_Ultimate_for_Mac-download-226665.html
- directoryofshareware Download: http://www.directoryofshareware.com/preview/dimo_video_converter_ultimate_for_mac/
- xentrik Download: http://www.xentrik.net/software/dimo_video_converter_ultimate_for_mac.html
- filebuzz Download: http://www.filebuzz.com/fileinfo/470884/Dimo_Video_Converter_Ultimate_for_Mac.html
- fileflash Download: http://146210.7.fileflash.com/download/
- yankeedownload Download: http://www.yankeedownload.com/software/dimo-video-converter-ultimate-for-mac-lnpol.html
- dodownload Download: http://www.dodownload.com/audio/grabber-converter/dimo-video-converter-ultimate-for-mac.html
- Antivire Download: http://www.antivire.com/Downloads/Audio-Multimedia/Rippers-Converters/Dimo-Video-Converter-Ultimate-for_46665.html
Tutorial: Rip DVD to NAS for streaming with MKV format
Step 1: Launch the DVD ripping program for NAS.
Then click “Add DVD” button to import the DVD files you want to convert. To select the audio tracks you like, simply click audio option and select the one you prefer.
Step 2: Click “Select Format” bar and choose your desired format.
To store hundreds of DVDs on NAS with MKV, you can rip DVD to “Format > Video > HD MP4”. And click Settings bar, you can adjust the level of compression to suit the quality you want.
If you’d like to backup DVD to NAS with all subtitles and audio tracks preserving, you can select “Format > Multi-track > Lossless MKV” for copying DVD to lossless mkv in even less than 5 mins with fast mode activated.
Step 3: Tap the “Start” button to start ripping DVD to NAS for DLNA streaming. After the conversion, click Open button to find the output files. Make sure the wireless network connection is accessible among the NAS and Apple TV, PS3, HD TV or other media players. Then just enjoy the high quality DVD movies anywhere anytime.
Additional Tip: Why we choose MKV?
MKV Preserves Complete Movie Content (Audio, Video and Subtitles) One of the main advantages of ripping DVD to MKV rather than MP4, AVI or WMV is that MKV holds unlimited number of video, audio, subtitle tracks and metadata. To be exactly, by ripping DVD to MKV format, you can get the entire movie with sound, subtitle tracks, thumbmail, along with menus and chapter structure, into one single MKV file.
Note: Your terminal device should recongize the MKV files and play MKV movies smoothly, not all the terminal devices are compatible with MKV files well. You can install VLC and MPlayer on your devices for playing those MKV files. Besides, Windows Media Player can play MKV file provided the codec packs are installed. In addition, WDTV Live Plus, PopCorn Hour 500 and other HDD media players support playing MKV file as well.
Free Download or Purchase Dimo Video Converter Ultimate for Mac/Win:
Need the lifetime version to work on 2-4 Macs so that your friends and family can instantly broaden their entertainment options? Please refer to the family license here.
The price of Dimo Video Converter Ultimate for Mac is divided into 1 Year Subscription, Lifetime/Family/Business License: $43.95/Year; $45.95/lifetime license; $95.95/family license(2-4 Macs); $189.95/business pack(5-8 Macs). Get your needed one at purchase page.
Lossless backup Blu-ray to MKV with all audio and subtitle tracks; Rip Blu-ray to multi-track MP4; Convert Blu-ray to almost all popular video/audio formats and devices; Copy Blu-ray to ISO/M2TS; Share digitized Blu-ray wirelessly.
A professional DVD ripping and editing tool with strong ability to remove DVD protection, transcode DVD to any video and audio format, and edit DVD to create personal movie.
An all-around video converter software program that enables you to convert various video and audio files to formats that are supported by most multimedia devices.
A mixture of free HD/4K video player, music player, Blu-ray/DVD player, video recorder and gif maker.
- Top 5 DVD Copy Software of 2017
- Rip TV Series DVD to Episodes for Plex
- Watch 3D Blu-ray movie on View-master VR
- How to Rip and Copy Blu-ray under macOS Sierra
- How to Upload and share DVD movies onto YouTube
- How to Copy DVD to MacBook (Pro/Air) in the Simplest Way